WE ARE THE ONE! The Canadian Association of Movers is the only official national trade association representing moving and storage companies in Canada. We urge you to #KnowYourMover and do your research before hiring a moving company.
The moving industry in Canada has been unregulated since the mid-1980s and scam artists, disguised as legitimate moving companies, are taking advantage of people, especially students, new Canadians and seniors. It is believed that fewer than 10% of victims report fraud to the BBB, Consumer Protection or law enforcement.
If you are a consumer considering a move, do careful and extensive research to ensure you are dealing with a legitimate mover. After all, you are allowing someone you don’t know to drive away with almost everything you own. While the vast majority of movers care about reputation and customer service, not all do. Check out movers in advance with the BBB and find out if they are a member of the Canadian Association of Movers. If they aren’t on CAM’s member list, send an email to admin[at]mover.net or call CAM at 1-866-860-0065 to find out if CAM has any complaints against them.
November 22, 2023 - ALERT: Scammer Impersonating Matco Moving Solutions Employee
Reputable CAM member Matco Moving Solutions has reported that an individual using the email address matcosolutions [at] outlook.com is impersonating as a Matco employee to deliver and pick up goods. This person is reported to be scamming victims out of large sums of money. Always verify an individual's claims about affiliations and brands that are displayed or declared.
- Moving scams - what you need to know about common moving scams
- CBC Marketplace - check out exposés on busting movers.
- Moving scams Investigations - a summary of recent moving scams investigations & media coverage. Always research your mover before hiring them.
- Scams targeting seniors - information about victimization of older Canadians
- Protect Yourself From Rogue Movers - Infographic courtesy of Cassidy's Transport and Storage (Ottawa, ON)
- News stories and info items - stories about moving and moving scams in the media
- Mover credentials & brands - See it? Check it! Always verify a mover's claims about affiliations and brands that are displayed or declared.
- Enquiries About Movers - find a simple list of companies that are not CAM members and about which consumers have contacted CAM.