Asking for an Estimate
Consumer Tip Sheet - Asking for an Estimate
When you ask for an estimate:
- Stay away from anyone who does not inspect the job before giving you a quote. Or who only wants to provide a quote over the phone.
- Ask for detailed, written estimates from at least three suppliers.
- Be specific about what you want done. If you want an accurate estimate, you have to be clear and precise.
- Estimates should be on the supplier’s proper letterhead and include, among other things:
- The date.
- The full name and signature of the person you spoke with.
- The supplier’s name, address and phone number.
- The number of hours to be billed for doing the work, the hourly rate to be charged.
- Itemized listing of services to be provided, materials/parts to be used and the cost. Total amount payable.
- Start and finish dates of the repair work.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. Be wary of a price that is a lot lower than others. It could be a sign of lower-quality work; it could mean you will see higher charges later.